By: Dale King
Ladies and gentlemen, get ready to rumba.
Or cha-cha, or fox trot, or quick step, or whatever formulaic dance steps suit your fancy.
The 10th annual “Boca’s Ballroom Battle” takes place Friday, Aug. 18, 6-10 p.m. at the Boca Raton Resort & Club. The event is patterned after the popular ABC TV program, “Dancing with the Stars,” and is a fundraiser for the George Snow Scholarship Fund.
Eight of the community’s most generous – and most recognizable — people will take to the dance floor that night to raise cash for the George Snow Scholarship Fund. Not only that, the dancer who collects the most money will receive the coveted Mirror Ball trophy.
The community leaders will be paired with professional dancers from the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Boca Raton. For the past few weeks, the would-be champs have been getting their legs, feet and ankles in shape by taking a series of dance lessons at the studio to perfect their routines.
The Ballroom Battle, part of Boca Festival Days sponsored by the Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, will fill the Great Hall at the Resort with friends, fans, co-workers and families of the dance competitors, all intent on cheering them to victory.
Some participants have already held parties and get-togethers to raise spirits in advance of the competition.
At Saks Fifth Avenue, employees are rooting for the store’s vice president and general manager, Heather Shaw, by signing their names and writing special messages on a white Rolls Bentley. Not to worry, the car is covered with a plastic covering so the paint won’t be marred.
Shaw will be one of the eight community leaders stepping to the dance floor the night of Aug. 18. Others are:
- Jim Dunn, vice president and general manager of JM Lexus.
- Terry Fedele, a registered nurse, retired hospital executive and community leader. She is also married to Boca Raton Regional Hospital CEO Jerry Fedele.
- Lisa Kornstein Kaufman, founder and creative director of Scout & Molly’s.
- Derek Morrell, proprietor of Ouzo Bay.
- Logan Skees, director of business development for Trainerspace.
- Elizabeth Murdoch Titcomb, principle and founder of Iolite Creative.
- John C. Tolbert, president and managing director of the Boca Raton Resort & Club.
For information or tickets, contact Debi Feiler at 561-347-6799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.