By: Christine King Special to the Boca and Delray newspaper
Although we live in a climate that calls for year-round bathing suit season, many South Floridians seek the summer as their time to enjoy our amazing beaches and fun pool parties. During “season” many are busy servicing snow birds and building their business.
Now that “our time” has arrived the thoughts of wearing a swim suit is less than pleasant for most. However, getting back your summer bod can be easier and faster than you may think if you follow these seven simple steps.
- Drink two large glasses of ice water before every meal, snack and alcoholic beverage. The stomach doesn’t allow anything to exit until it’s heated to body temperature. Filling your belly with ice water provides a feeling of fullness. This causes you to eat less and slows down the consumption of adult beverages.
- It is oppressively hot during our summers. Add in the humidity and you have a formula perfect for enjoying cool, fresh culinary delights. It also provides the opportunity to support our local farmers. It’s difficult to imagine eating a large hot meal. Plan your plate to include lots of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. First, you don’t need to be reminded it’s good for you. Second, the fiber alone will be a tremendous help in the slim down process.
- Eat small and frequently. Feeling full from a large meal feels awful when you step out into the heat. Success happens when you plan your daily meals. Eating a protein and a carb (fruit or vegetable) every three hours. Your metabolism will skyrocket, you’ll have more energy, and eat less.
- Bump up your activity level. Joining a gym isn’t necessary. The pleasures of the beach and pool offer many ways to burn calories and help to tone. Additionally, add in everything you’ve heard a million times before. Activities like using the stairs, have walking meetings at work, use a wireless headset at work so you can pace around the office while on a call. One of my favorites is to set your timer for 30 seconds. Sit and stand from your chair as many times as you can during the allotted time. Do this when you first arrive to the office, at lunchtime, and before you end the work day. Statistically, most people can perform 20-40 “squats.” Think about this, that’s potentially 60 squats a day. Magnificent activity that also helps ease back pain.
- If you’re not a regular water drinker, now is the time to incrementally increase your H2O! Some prefer room temperature (you’ll fit in more, as per secret number one) and others like it cold. Either way, just drink the water please! The goal is to drink one-half of your weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds you need to build up to 50 ounces of water each day. This isn’t accomplished overnight. Each week add five ounces to your intake. I’m sorry to let you know that a scotch and water doesn’t count! Alcohol is dehydrating. For every adult beverage you drink, three glasses of water are needed to counteract the alcohol.
- Everything works better with a buddy or the family. This includes food preparation and activity. Having a friend join you to prepare a week’s worth of mini-meals is half the work and you leave with enough food for the week. The same goes for working out. Being accountable to another person provides extreme motivation to stick with your plan!
- Smile and breathe! Enjoy all our environment has to offer. Plan fun outings with friends and/or family that include activities, relaxation and beautiful food.
Implementing the above will create a more enjoyable summer, instill confidence as you put on your swimwear, and ignite the summer bod that got a little lazy over the season.
Christine King is a Medical Exercise Specialist, Fitness Expert, and Founder of YourBestFit. The health and wellness company has helped thousands of clients recover from injuries, look and feel better and improve their overall well-being. www.YourBestFit.com